The word ‘stagnation’ means a lack of activity, growth, or development. While a new job always seems exciting and challenging, routine sets in overtime and most people go about their jobs mindlessly–like robots. While some boredom at work should be expected, you are getting the job done, but nothing seems like an accomplishment to you. You drag yourself to work, get through your to-do list, and go home. However, there is no sense of direction, drive, and purpose in what you are doing. This is career stagnation–a feeling of a lack of engagement with your career or job.
Signs of career stagnation
Usually, boredom with your job/career can also have similar signs. So, how do you know if you are going through stagnation in your career? Here are some classic signs to help you find out.
- Your job doesn’t challenge you.
- There is no scope to learn or grow further.
- Your salary has not changed for a long time.
- You have professional skills that are not being used at work.
- Overloaded and unnoticed at your workplace.
- The work environment is toxic, causing you to withdraw into a shell.
- There is no scope for vertical or horizontal growth.
Causes of career stagnation
What causes career stagnation? Is it you or the organization? Here are some common causes of career stagnation
- Vague career goals: This is one of the primary causes of career stagnation. Most people have a general idea about how they want to further their careers but don’t have a specific goal or action plan. This puts them in an autopilot mode, and before they realize stagnation sets in.
- Waiting to be recognized for your efforts: Often, employees feel like they have hit the dead-end if their superiors are not recognizing their efforts. This can lead to a loss of interest in the job and a subsequent feeling of stagnation.
- Expecting growth too fast: Some employees have unreasonably high expectations from their careers and expect to grow overnight (not literally, of course). This usually turns into disappointment and leads to a feeling of career stagnation.
- Outdated skills: The corporate world is highly dynamic. As technologies and processes evolve, companies expect employees to upgrade their skills too. Not staying in tune with the changing times can often lead to a stalemate position in your career and make you feel stagnated.
How can you overcome career stagnation?
If you understood the causes of career stagnation, then overcoming it should be easy. Here are some tips to help you.
- Create clear career goals: Career stagnation usually happens because the employee does not have a clear career goal in mind. Having a goal can help you learn the skills required to turn your dream into reality and keep the feeling of stagnation at bay.
- Keep abreast of your industry’s changes: Usually, employees struggle to cope with their industry changes since they are unaware. Even if you are at the junior-most level, ensure that you keep tabs on new technologies and/or processes in your industry. This will allow you to identify the skills that you need to acquire to stay relevant.
- Work on your skills: A successful career is one in which you continuously evolve and grow. If you are feeling stagnated, then try to update your skills. Learning new skills can reignite your passion for the job and create new opportunities.
- Network: In today’s times, networking is essential for various reasons. While it helps you find excellent career opportunities, it also helps broaden your perspective towards your job and feel more in control.
Updating skills–an ideal way to overcome career stagnation
Of all the options listed above, updating your skills is undeniably one of the best ways to overcome career stagnation. Change, it is said, is the only constant in life. And people who embrace change flow seamlessly with their lives and achieve success. Once you experience career stagnation, pulling yourself out of it can be difficult. This is because the feeling of stagnation can dampen your spirits and make you feel inadequate. Hence, the best way to overcome career stagnation is to look for ways to add to your skill set and open doors to newer opportunities.
The perfect program to update your skills and fight career stagnation
Every industry is unique and requires a specific skill set to grow and succeed as a professional. Hence, when you are looking to update your skills, it is crucial to choose an institute that understands your industry and offers programs tailored to it. The banking and finance sector is highly competitive, and employees need to stay on top of their game at all times to grow and succeed in their careers. Many institutes are offering various programs to help banking and finance professionals update their skills. In this landscape, the PG Program in Banking and Finance offered by TKWsIBF stands out as the best choice to enter a career in banking and finance and also fight career stagnation for a range of reasons, as explained below.
- It’s ranked as #1 Banking Institute consistently since 2010
- The institute uses Experiential Learning Techniques (ELT) to help you develop up to 48 relevant skills.
- The curriculum is innovative and updated regularly to ensure relevance.
- The faculty comprises senior professionals from the BFSI sector–both domestic and international.
- The projects and assignments are linked to the industry, offering good exposure to students.
- The Board comprises highly experienced professionals from the industry who understand what it takes to succeed in it.
Career stagnation can take away some crucial years of your professional life if not identified and overcome in time. Hence, stop and think. Are you feeling stagnated in your career? If yes, then follow the tips mentioned above and start fighting back. Remember, a successful career is a journey and not a destination. Build your career meticulously. Good Luck!