You should kick-start your career before you graduate, not after- The saying ‘The early bird catches the worm’ also applies when you are launching a successful career. Get that early bird advantage of ‘early’ planning. Start your search before you graduate from college. The last couple of years saw an increase in the number of courses offered by institutes for the commerce stream candidates. Why? This increase is because the economy is changing.The way banks and institutions are doing business is improving every day. The demand for skilled and knowledgeable candidates to fill available positions in the industry has increased. Recruiters are finding it difficult to find suitable “work-ready” trained graduates. A plethora of institutions jumped on the bandwagon to offer courses aimed to meet this urgent demand for skilled candidates.
So, study further or work? You need to have a healthy post-graduation plan. – The planning process of hunting for a job or which course to study should begin in the final year of your graduation. Plan to queue up entry-level positions in reputed organizations right after your education. A planned process will help you gain insights into the job market. You will find that there is a vast array of options for a person hunting for a job equipped with a PG degree than for a person who has a UG degree. Your goal is a high paying job in a reputed company doing what you love to do. A PG degree is an invaluable investment. There is a mistaken belief that one should get some work experience before enrolling for a PG degree to gain a competitive edge. This thinking is far from the truth. Organisations are reluctant to hire a commerce graduate to fill a position when there is a postgraduate with training available for the same role. Who stands to succeed then?
Here, we list the top six courses in New Delhi and the NCR region. These courses offer a robust, well-designed curriculum. You will gain the knowledge and right skill sets needed for your first job:
1. Masters in Commerce (M.Com): Is the usual choice for most students completing their B.Com degree. In this two-year degree program, students can specialize in subjects like Accounting, Finance, Business Studies, Statistics, Taxation, Economics, Marketing, Management, etc. You should choose colleges and universities that are approved by AICTE and recognized by the Government, e.g., Shri Ram College of commerce SRCC, New Delhi.
2. Masters in Commerce (M.Com), Hindu College, New Delhi: This program is a popular choice for students. Its strengths are its qualified faculty and the curriculum that it offers.
3. Certified Financial Planners: This is a certification course (6 months to 1 year), offered by BLB Institute of Financial Markets (BIFM), New Delhi/NCR.
4. Postgraduate Diploma in banking operations (An exclusive career program for ICICI Bank): The students in this program will need to sign a Rs. 20 lakhs bond with the ICICI Bank. They are required to work for the ICICI Bank for at least three years after they graduate.
5.PG Diploma in Banking and Finance offered by TKWs Institute, New Delhi: This program is an excellent option in case you plan to acquire a postgraduate degree.Or, in case you seek an international career break after your studies. Its USP is a winning, professional, well-designed curriculum that sets it apart from the others. It offers hands-on training by visiting international faculty for international jobs. The financial industry recruits students from this institute on a regular basis.
6. Masters in Business Administration (MBA): You can choose to do this two-year program and specialize in either Marketing Management, Financial Management, Human Resource Management, Banking & Insurance Management or Systems Management for better job prospects.
How do you know which course is a valuable investment?
Initial planning and research are crucial. You could be faced with a dilemma when you there is a buffet of so many course offerings. How do you know which course is the best investment of time and money? Look for a robust curriculum and pick a program that empowers you with its training and placement program. The course should offer you functional work experience through its internships and real-time action-learning projects to complement the theoretical learning imparted. Practical training is an integrative, hands-on experiential learning experience in a supervised environment. Its objective is to breathe life into the theory (application of the knowledge, concepts, and skills in a real work setting) through simulation exercises. Such training makes students ‘industry-ready’ to perform on the job from day one.
‘Train for skill and hire for attitude,’ a popular HR maxim in the industry is understood only by a few of the institutes offering such courses. For instance, at TKWs institute, students apart from being given proper practical training for imparting skills they also include critical customer service and professional communication skills training which is an added advantage.
Visit http://instituteofbanking.org/post-graduate-diploma-in-banking-and-finance/ for information on its integrative, hands-on curriculum.